Pursuit of Jade
Sep. 20th, 2026 10:56 amWe finished watching this. So sad it's over! I loved it so much in every way. It was like it was made for me.
Chang Yu, the orphaned daughter of a butcher, is gifted with incredible strength ... and also has received some pretty impressive martial training from her dad. Was he maybe not the humble man he claimed to be? Perhaps?
She rescues a man left for dead in the snow, a caravan guard attacked by bandits, she assumes, and he doesn't contradict her, though he does know an awful lot about all sorts of things and has fabulous calligraphy. Is he maybe of higher status than he lets on? Just maybe?
I loved the sweet interactions between these two; I loved how righteous and strong Chang Yu is; I loved the strong female friendships in the story (no romantic rivalries whatsoever, THANK GOD); loved the complicated court machinations, the secondary characters and their side stories, the gang Chang Yu collects, and the conclusion.
Then at the very very end, there's an alternate-timeline what-if story of how everyone's lives could have been if things had gone differently. So interesting! My question for those of you who watch C-dramas regularly is, is that sort of thing common? I thought it was a cool twist.
Trailer (this is all in Chinese, but Netflix has subtitles, and you can probably get it on YouTube with subtitles as well).
Now I've persuaded Wakanomori to watch Legend of the Magnate with me (many thanks to
skygiants for posting about this! I'm loving it too!) I'm a quarter of the way through but happy to go back and start over so Wakanomori can enjoy it too.
(No C-drama icon, so it's the Red Detachment of Women up there instead.)
Chang Yu, the orphaned daughter of a butcher, is gifted with incredible strength ... and also has received some pretty impressive martial training from her dad. Was he maybe not the humble man he claimed to be? Perhaps?
She rescues a man left for dead in the snow, a caravan guard attacked by bandits, she assumes, and he doesn't contradict her, though he does know an awful lot about all sorts of things and has fabulous calligraphy. Is he maybe of higher status than he lets on? Just maybe?
I loved the sweet interactions between these two; I loved how righteous and strong Chang Yu is; I loved the strong female friendships in the story (no romantic rivalries whatsoever, THANK GOD); loved the complicated court machinations, the secondary characters and their side stories, the gang Chang Yu collects, and the conclusion.
Then at the very very end, there's an alternate-timeline what-if story of how everyone's lives could have been if things had gone differently. So interesting! My question for those of you who watch C-dramas regularly is, is that sort of thing common? I thought it was a cool twist.
Trailer (this is all in Chinese, but Netflix has subtitles, and you can probably get it on YouTube with subtitles as well).
Now I've persuaded Wakanomori to watch Legend of the Magnate with me (many thanks to
(No C-drama icon, so it's the Red Detachment of Women up there instead.)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 03:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 03:37 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 03:57 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 04:08 pm (UTC)So you reckon if it had had another 10 or so episodes, it could have unfolded things with more ease?
I wanted to know more about the backstory of ... I don't know anyone's names: the restaurant-running woman who was really the wife of the silver-haired actually-an-imperial-prince. She says at the end to him that she's from far, far away, so my head cannon is that she was a barbarian princess.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 04:35 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:02 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:26 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 05:08 pm (UTC)These characters sound great.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:02 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 06:51 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:00 pm (UTC)She's such a cool, good character. I loved her a lot. Sometimes we do end up far, far away from everything. (Oh no. Now I'm tearing up!)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:41 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 08:22 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 05:08 pm (UTC)Avoidance of romantic rivalries sounds particularly nice!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-20 07:04 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 02:03 am (UTC)Oh! Okay! I'm sold!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 02:40 am (UTC)I haven't run into the alternate-timeline what-if epilogue tactic before, though. That's fascinating!
(Isn't Legend of the Magnate fun? Delighted you're enjoying it!)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 10:43 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 11:58 am (UTC)